omniReader Software Downloads
This page describes how to download, install, and verify installation of omniReader software 2.6.2.
Changes in Release 2.6.2
Below are updates included in this release:
- The omniReader now supports seznam.cz email accounts.
- For certain languages, book and text file conversions to MP3 files would fail. This issue has been fixed.
- The omniReader no longer automatically deletes the original text document after it has been converted to an MP3 file.
- Sleep mode operation is suspended while installing public domain books.
- The omniReader now reports the correct network status when connected to a wireless network.
- Scheduled alarms and reminders are now canceled when turned off using the Clock and Calendar apps.
- A fix was made where photo albums were accidentally deleted when exiting the Photo Album app.
Several updates for Japanese are also available in this release. This includes:
- Better recognition of vertical text when scanning a document.
- Addition of a female voice to read menus and documents.
- Correct operation when entering text using the character selector.
Before You Begin
- Review this procedure before attempting to update your unit.
- You need a USB flash drive to transfer the software file to the unit.
- Make sure the USB flash drive has at least 2 GB of space available. The flash drive must be formatted as FAT32.
- Make sure the unit is powered
on and plugged into a power outlet
Important: The omniReader must have a minimum battery charge of 20 percent before you start the update process. To check the battery status, do the following. From the Main menu, select Settings > Status. If the battery status is below 20 percent, let the unit charge until it is above this charge level. To return to the Main menu, press the Menu button.
- Verify the current software
To do this, from the Main menu, select Settings > Status, and then scroll to Version. To return to the Main menu, press the Menu button.
Important: Version 2.6.2 must be installed on units currently running software 2.5.18. If your unit is running a version earlier than 2.5.18, you must first upgrade to version 2.5.18 and then 2.6.2.
Upgrade Path Overview
If your unit is running software version...
2.3 or 2.4
You will perform two upgrades, first to software 2.5.18 and then to 2.6.2. This requires that you:
You will perform one upgrade:
Downloading the Software File
- Download the omniReader
software file using the link at the end of this procedure, and copy it to
a location on your computer where you can easily find it.
Important: It may take several minutes to download the file due to its size. Once it is downloaded, do not extract the file.
- Move the file to the root of a USB flash drive inserted in your computer.
- When the move is finished, safely eject the USB flash drive from your computer.
For units with
software release 2.3 or 2.4, download this file to update the software to
omniReader Software 2.5.18 Update (1.6 GB)
For units with
software release 2.5.18, download this file to update the software to release
omniReader Software 2.6.2 Update (73.5 MB)
- From the Main menu on omniReader, select Settings > System Settings > Upgrade Software.
- Insert the USB flash drive when prompted into a USB connector on the unit. USB connectors are located on the lower left side of the unit.
- The omniReader announces,
"Updating Software," and then powers off and on.
During the update, the message "Installing system update," displays on the screen. When finished the unit powers off and on again and returns to the Main menu.
- To verify the software version, from the Main menu, select Settings > Status, and then scroll to Version. To return to the Main menu, press the Menu button.
Important: If you are performing an update from a release earlier than 2.5.18, remember to delete the 2.5.18 file from your USB flash drive, download and copy the 2.6.2 software to your USB flash drive, and repeat steps 1-3 above.
Ejecting the USB Flash Drive
To safely eject the USB flash drive, do the following:
- With omniReader powered on, press the green Power button on the lower left side of the unit to enter Sleep mode.
- Wait for all LEDs on the unit to turn off, approximately five seconds, and remove the USB flash drive from the unit.
- Press the Power button again to wake up omniReader.
Leave a Comment